Sutton-on-Trent Parish Website
Sutton-on-Trent is a sizeable village located 8 miles north of Newark-on-Trent. Situated on the west bank of the River Trent and on the Great North Road, the village is 2 miles from the A1 and has excellent road links to Retford, Lincoln, Nottingham and further afield.
Between the village and the River Trent are The Holmes, some 200 hectares of open riverside meadows that have been divided into 'gaits' for traditional grazing since the 18th century. The gaits are owned by a number of organisations and individuals and are auctioned in March each year to farmers and graziers for a period of 7 months after which they are cleared of cattle and sheep in order to rest the pasture for the following year.
Today, Sutton is a busy village with a strong community spirit and excellent amenities. The primary school has served the village and surrounding community since 1878 and was rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted in February 2018. The village also has a doctors, recently refurbished Co-op store, two butchers, hairdresser and the Lord Nelson Pub. The Community Library on Main Street is staffed by volunteers. The Methodist Church on High Street is also a community centre with many village organisations holding regular meetings there. All Saint’s Church has a prominent position in the village closer to the school. The local bus service is operated by Marshalls Coaches who are based off Main Street and the village also benefits a Sports and Community Center located on the Grassthorpe Road. Other businesses operating within the village include Weston Mill Pottery, Mercia Garden Products and Hutchinson Engineering Services.
The annual Sutton Festival, first held over 30 years ago to raise funds for the restoration of the church, is a very successful two day event held in September and raises funds for local causes.